Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is actually a pretty big deal in Japan, at least in the shops. Another interesting cultural tidbit is that fruit makes a nice gift on any occasion. And it's not size or taste that counts, but appearance. A quick walk through a local department store reviewed the following fruits for Father's Day. I've included the prices for your convenience.
Box of Red Grapes (single cluster): $84


Box of Green Grapes (single cluster): $105


Single Red Mango: $105


Perhaps the sign says it best.


At these prices I'm afraid I can only afford a slice of eggplant for you, Dad. Hope you like the card at least. Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

  1. "Fruity Father's Day." That's great! Collect any more Japlish? It's a crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I shall feel like I'm living in luxury the next time I eat a grape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those grapes laced with platinum or emeralds or amethysts? Good heavens. Maybe all the worth is in that box they're packed in, or the airmail postage.

    ReplyDelete