Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Altars at Bethel


I recently had a conversation with my friend Sonoko about a sermon she had prepared on Genesis 35, Jacob's return to Bethel and the importance of place. Jacob had first passed through Bethel while running for his life from Esau. It was there that he saw the ladder ascending into heaven and made a somewhat self-serving vow to follow the Lord. His return to Bethel years later had some similarities--again there was an altar and a vision of God. Yet it is the differences that are more striking. Rather than all alone with nothing but his staff, he has great wealth, a large family, and many servants. Rather that fleeing for his life from Esau's wrath, he had reconciled with his brother, and come to settle his flocks. Rather than a first encounter with the Lord, he had come recognize and trust God's voice. Even his name was different. Bethel for him was a place for reflection on God's blessings, and rededication to his service (Gen. 35:2-4). And the place became so significant to his relationship with God, that the Lord even revealed himself as "the God of Bethel" (Gen. 31:13).

In some ways, Japan has become a sort of Bethel for me. When I left the first time, at the age of 13, I was merely beginning my discipleship. Each subsequent return marked a significant phase in my discipleship, and now I am at the point of making disciples of others. When I left Okayama four years ago, it was to receive more training. Now I am at the point of training others. God has provided in many ways. Visits to the river where I played as a boy or the place where I lived as a missionary have been like tiny altars scattered across the landscape of my discipleship.

Yet even a greater testimony to God's goodness has been the way in which the places themselves have changed. When I left Okayama four years ago, our church was meeting in a tiny room above a coffee shop. Now, what was then nothing but rice fields has become an attractive, two-story church building. I had tried to start a coffee ministry when I was there, but with little success. But now they convert the sanctuary into a fashionable cafe every weekend. The fact that a church can be both fashionable and welcoming has so surprised the Japanese public that our pastor was interviewed on local television by national celebrities as tasted the church's wares.

As I worshiped together with this growing congregation, my charge to them was to stay faithful. Yet I myself was reminded of how faithful God has been. He has brought me through many joys and hardships in the last four years alone. He has built me up in America while building up the Church in Japan. He has used me even in my absence, as several ladies in the church told me exactly what I had preached on over five years ago, and how it was still impacting them. From this altar of thanks I move forward with the flocks and herds I have to serve the Lord in other places yet.

1 comment:

  1. A blessing to be able to be a part of God's work, and to realize it was Him who was really working all along. Great reminder of God's faithfulness, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete