Saturday, May 29, 2010

Next Stop: Japan

For well over a year, I have been praying about the timing of a trip back to Japan to visit my old church and reconnect with some old friends. Now, with seminary just behind me and ministry in Wheaton just ahead, the way has finally opened up for me to return. There are many things I'm anticipating from this trip, but two in particular come to mind.

Since I left Okayama in 2004, the church there has bought property, built its own building, and begun operating without a permanent missionary. I am thrilled to finally see the fruits of the work that God has done there. It's a joy to know that I had a hand in this work, but an even greater joy to know that God has never needed me to do it. I can truly say, "I planted a seed, another watered it, but God made it grow!"

I will be visiting several friends who used to attend church with me but have since lost their interest in both church and God. While it was clear when I left that God was calling me back to the States for seminary, sometimes I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I had been able to stay a bit longer and encourage them more. The prospect of reconnecting with these friends stirs up very mixed feelings. I'm eager to share the gospel with them one more time. I feel intense sorrow at the way the cares of the world have choked their budding faith. And I have a strong sense of my own finitude--I simply can't be in both places. Again, I must place my trust in the only one who can make seeds grow.

Stay tuned for these and more adventures in the upcoming weeks. In the mean time, please be praying for my departure on Tuesday morning.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you bro! And look forward to reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The blog is up and running! And quicker than I thought it would.

    Your post on Chesterton makes me want to read Man Alive. Maybe it will rudely squeeze its way into my summer reading list.

    Hope you find much joy and wonder in the ordinary and the common place this summer.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete